Lodgers and Subletting

If you decide to sublet your property, you should:

  • Get permission from your bank or building society if it is a condition of your mortgage
  • Tell us you are subletting to make sure you are covered in the event of an insurance claim
  • Give us your contact details or those of your agent (if you have one) in case of emergency or problems caused by defects
  • Tell us who is living in your flat for security reasons. We will not issue fob keys to anyone claiming to live in your flat unless we have confirmation that they have your agreement to be there
  • The obligations and agreements in your lease will still apply even if you are not living in your flat. Should there be a breach of your lease we will take action against you, not your tenant.
  • You remain responsible for payment of service charges and ground rent, so you must tell us your address so we can send you your invoices. If payments are not made we will take action against you, not your tenant
  • Let us know if the property remains empty for any length of time.
  • You will be responsible for the landlords duties under the Gas Safety Regulations 1998. This means you must make sure any appliances, pipework and flues are safe and well maintained. You must also arrange for an annual gas safety check to be carried out by a Corgi registered engineer and that your tenant receives a copy of the gas safety check record (CP12)

You are responsible for your tenant. You should make sure that the agreement you have with your tenant includes the same rules and regulations that apply to you as a lessee. We will contact you or your agent if your tenants behaviour causes any problems.

If you are considering subletting your property please contact the Home Ownership Unit for further information or advice.