Former Tenant Arrears

What are former tenant arrears?

Former tenant arrears are monies owed in unpaid rent when you have moved from one property to another. Arrears can be caused by:

  • late payments
  • missed payments
  • part payments
  • late return of keys
  • non payment of housing benefit

You are responsible for your rent, even if it is for a previous property or if you are, or were on housing benefit. It's up to you to ensure that the debt is cleared.

What to do if you have former tenant arrears

If you are able to pay your arrears you should do so as quickly as possible so that no further action is taken.

You can pay your arrears by:

  • Using the Online Payment System
  • Cash, cheque or debit card (using your housing payment card) at the Civic Centre (payment machines)
  • Cash, cheque or debit card (using your housing payment card) at your local post office
  • By standing order through your bank or building society
  • By sending a cheque payable to the London Borough of Hounslow to the Cash Office, Civic Centre, Lampton Road Hounslow TW3 4DN
  • Calling the 24 hour automated telephone payment system on 0845 30 10 210

If you cannot pay your arrears in full, contact us as soon as possible. We can help you by:

  • sending you a statement of your account and arranging a payment plan that suits you
  • help you set up a standing order either weekly, fortnightly or monthly
  • assist you by letting you know when Housing Benefit was not paid
  • help you avoid expensive court costs

Action that may be taken

If you do not contact us to make an arrangement, the account will be passed to our debt collection agent or our solicitors who may add charges. This could make it difficult for you to get loans, credit cards and mortgage references.

If you move without informing us of your forwarding address, we will employ a tracing agent to locate you and may also sell the debt to another company to pursue.

We strongly advise that you contact us as soon as you start having a problem paying your rent. We can help and advise you before the arrears get to high and you find it more difficult to manage your rent. For more information on arrears and how we can help you, see the Rent arrears and counselling page.