Paying for Repairs

If you are reporting a repair that is necessary due to damage caused by you, family living with you or visitors to your home, you could be charged for the cost of the repairs. Charges include administration fees and VAT.

Examples of repairs that you could be charged for include:

  • Forced entry and lock change – if you lose your keys or lock yourself out of your property.
  • Repair/renewal of any fixtures and fittings
  • Window glass
  • Blockages to WC’s, sinks, basins, baths etc – disposing of nappies via a WC or pouring of fats down sinks causing blockage
  • Renewal of WC seat
  • Renewal of fixtures and fittings will be of standard Hounslow Homes issue regardless of what item was in place before, and charges will apply even if the damage was caused accidentally.

If you report a repair that is to be recharged to you, through either the Repairs Call Centre or the Online Repairs Service, we will let you know of any costs before we raise an order and carry out any work. We will also give you an estimate of the cost of the repair before you make a decision.

If you decide to go ahead with the repair, we will carry out the work and send you an invoice afterwards. If you find you cannot pay the charge in full, it is possible to pay the charge in instalments. Information on what to do if you cannot pay in full can be found on your invoice.

If you decide to carry out the repairs yourself or employ your own tradesperson, you must ensure that the person doing the repair is suitably qualified. You could be charged for any remedial works we have to carry out should any damage be caused by you or a person you have employed.

For more information about rechargeable repairs, please contact the Repairs Call Centre on 0800 085 65 75, or e-mail your query to

Contents Insurance

You may be able to claim back the cost of rechargeable repair through your personal contents insurance. It is your responsibility to check your policy details to find out whether you are covered for accidental damage.

Hounslow Homes can offer tenants a household contents insurance scheme at low cost payable with your rent. For more information about the scheme, see the Contents Insurance page.