Home Contents Insurance

Safe as houses! Peace of mind with home contents insurance

Your furniture, belongings or decorations are not automatically insured against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes. We strongly advise you to take out contents insurance.

How can you get contents insurance?

Either by making an arrangement with an independent insurance provider, or by joining the home contents scheme available to London Borough of Hounslow tenants - for as little as 89 pence per week for £9,000 cover!

Who is eligible for the scheme?

The scheme, provided by Allianz Insurance PLC, is available to tenants in permanent accommodation and you must have a clear rent account to be eligible.

How to pay

The cost of the insurance is payable with your rent. When your application is accepted you will receive a policy handbook and schedule of insurance.

What will the insurance cover?

Most of your household goods and contents will be insured in your home. The policy also covers replacement of external locks if your keys are stolen and the contents of your freezer. Full details of the policy cover are available on request.

Will you be insured against the new or original cost of any stolen contents?

All your home contents are covered by the policy on a ‘new-for-old’ basis. This does not include linen or clothing, which will be replaced at their current cost less an amount for wear and tear.

Before taking out the insurance, you should think carefully about the level of cover you need. If you are uninsured, the settlement of your claim could be affected.

How do you apply?

Application forms are available from your local housing office, or by contacting the Customer Service Centre on 0800 085 65 75. Once you have completed your form, you can hand it in at a Housing Office or return it by post to Hounslow Homes, Pavilion AF, The Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow, TW3 4DN


  • To make sure you are always covered you must keep up to date with your payments
  • You will not be allowed to make a claim unless your payments are up to date
  • If you do not pay your insurance premium for six weeks your cover will be cancelled
  • As you will pay your insurance premium with your rent you must not accrue arrears on your account. If you fall behind with your rent payments the policy will be cancelled.
  • Any payments you make will go first to rent, then to other charges, and finally to insurance.

For more information contact:

Hounslow Homes, Pavilion AF, The Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow, TW3 4DN

Tel: 020 8583 3792

back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What are the main features of cover?

A. Under the scheme you are covered for:

  • Theft
  • Escape of water
  • Fire
  • Malicious Damage
  • Storm and Flood
  • cover for wheelchairs/mobility scooters and hearing aids can be included for an additional cost

In the event of a loss, you are covered for:

Replacement of the item(s) as new

The cost of repairing the item(s)

The cost of replacing the item(s) as new

A detailed summary of cover can be found in the cover application pack.

Q. How do I make a claim?

A. To make a claim, contact us on 020 8583 3792. You will be sent a claim form to complete. Once completed, the form should be sent direct to the Insurer.

Q. How do I cancel the cover?

A. You must tell us your decision in writing and send it to the Finance Administration Section, Hounslow Homes, Pavilion AF, The Civic Centre, Lampton Road, Hounslow, TW3 4DN

Please tell us:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your rent account number.

If you have any other queries regarding contents insurance, please contact us on 020 8583 3792

back to top