External Links

Lodgers and Subletting

The Housing Act 1985 does not permit subletting and/or parting with possession of the whole of your home. This is also in your Tenancy Agreement.

  • You do have the right to take in lodgers; however you must contact us for permission before taking a lodger into your home.
  • You should only take in a lodger if you have room. If it leads to overcrowding in your home, we have grounds for seeking possession of your property.
  • You also have the right to sublet part of your home but only with our written permission, which you must obtain beforehand. We will not refuse permission to sublet without good reason (such as overcrowding)
  • If we refuse permission and you think this is unreasonable, you have the right to challenge our decision.
  • If you sublet without permission, we may ask you to evict him/her. If you do not do so, we may serve a Notice of Seeking Possession to end your tenancy. However, you would have time to seek advice.
  • You should not evict a lodger or tenant without first seeking advice from the law centre, the Citizens Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Housing benefit

If you take in a lodger or sublet and are claiming Housing Benefit you must notify Hounslow Revenue Services on 020 8583 4242.

Tell us about any changes

You should also let us know if a member of your family comes to live permanently in your home. We refer to this as a ‘Change of Circumstances’. you will need to complete a form - contact the Customer Service Centre on 0800 085 65 75 or e-mail to customerservicecentre@hounslowhomes.org.uk