Changes to Tenancy

Terms of Tenancy changes

If the council wishes to change the terms of your tenancy, it has to formally consult with tenants to tell them what changes it wishes to bring.

It has to ask for your views and then decide whether to go ahead with the change. If the council decides to make a change, we will send you a ‘Notice of Variation’. This tells you what the new terms are, the effects and the date when the change will come into force.

Assignment and exchange of tenancies

You are not allowed under the terms of the Tenancy Agreement to sublet or part with possession of the whole of your home. If you sublet or part with possession of your home all at once or in stages you risk losing your home.

You may only legally pass on your tenancy if:

  • You are exchanging with another tenant and you have our permission to do so.
  • You are assigning the tenancy to a spouse, co-habitee or close relative (including grown up children) who has lived with your for the last 12 months or more and would normally qualify to succeed.
  • There has been a court order in matrimonial proceedings

In the first two examples you must get our permission first and in the last you must tell us if the court has made such an order (and provide the relevant documentation)

Other changes

You may need to change your details on your tenancy agreement, for example, you have changed your name or information we have sent you is incorrect.

If you have changed your name by deed poll or because you have recently married and taken your partners name, you must tell us so that we can update our records. You will also need to provide copies of any relevant documentation, such as a marriage certificate or deed poll certificate. You will need to complete a 'Transfer of Tenancy' form.

If you have any questions about changes to your tenancy, contact the Customer Service Centre on 0800 085 65 75 or visit your local housing office.