Home Improvements

You can carry out improvements to your home but in most cases you will need to contact us for written permission.

The type of alterations that need permission include:

  • Making additions to your home, such as a room extension, a porch, patio doors or a conservatory
  • Altering the structure of the building, such as removing a wall or a chimney breast
  • Putting in new kitchen units or central heating
  • Making changes to gas or electricity supplies or the plumbing system
  • Putting in double glazing
  • Painting the outside of the property
  • Putting up television, radio (including CB) aerials and satellite dishes.
  • Putting up sheds and garages
  • Replacing internal doors

If you have any questions about what improvements you can do, contact the Customer Service Centre on 0800 085 65 75 or visit your local housing reception.

We have some rules on carrying out improvements. Please check with us before you start. If we refuse to give you permission you can discuss this with your Estate Manager.

Getting permission from other organisations

For some improvements, such as putting up a garage, you may need to have planning permission and/or conform to building regulations. For more information visit the Hounslow Council website.

Vehicle Crossovers

If you live in a house you may apply for a hardstanding and pavement crossover to make your front garden suitable for parking a car. You must contact us first for permission. If we agree with your request, you must meet development and control regulations and meet the full cost of the works.

More information about vehicle crossover applications can be found on the Hounslow Council website.

After you have made improvements

If you want to take any fittings with you if you leave the property, you must replace the originals or replace them with a suitable substitute that meets are standards.

If you do not do this we will charge you for the cost of new fittings and for any remedial works we have to carry out to return the property to its original state.