Right to Repair

If you are a Secure Tenant , you have the right to have repairs carried out to your home under the Right To Repair Regulations 1994. Under these regulations, if we, or our contractor, do not carry out the repairs listed below within a certain number of working days, you have the right to ask us to ask a second contractor to carry out the work.

This contractor will have the same length of time to complete the work as the original contractor. If the second contractor also fails to carry out the work within target time, you may have the right to compensation.

This is subject to the value of the work being less than £250 and you have allowed reasonable access for the work to be carried out. However, we may offset any sums owed to us (e.g. rent arrears) against any compensation payable under these regulations.

When you report a repair we will confirm when someone will be attending and expect them to be there. It is your responsibility to make a claim if you think you are entitled to compensation and your claim must be made in writing.

You will not be entitled to compensation if you have refused access to a contractor or if the repair is one for which you might have to pay.

NB. A working day does not start until the morning after the repair was reported, and the number of working days excludes weekends and bank holidays.

This is a list of all the repairs that qualify under this scheme.

  • Total loss of electric power
  • Partial loss of electric power
  • Unsafe power or lighting socket or electrical fitting
  • Total loss of water supply
  • Partial loss of water supply
  • Total or partial loss of gas supply
  • Blocked flue to open fire or boiler
  • Total or partial loss of space or water heating from 1 November to 30 April.
  • Total or partial loss of space or water heating between 30 April to 1 November
  • Loss or partial loss of space or water heating where no alternative heating is available.
  • Blocked or leaking foul drain, soil stack or toilet pan (when there is no other working toilet in the house)
  • Blocked sink, bath or basin
  • Tap which cannot be turned
  • Leaking from water or heating pipe, tank or cistern
  • Insecure external window, door or lock
  • Loose or detached baninster or hand rail
  • Rotten timber flooring or stair tread
  • Leaking roof
  • Door entryphone not working

Extractor fan in internal kitchen or bathroom not working

If you have any further queries regarding repairs, please contact the Repairs Call Centre on 0800 085 65 75 or e-mail to repairs.team@hounslowhomes.org.uk